Compare What is it?
PowerXL Air Fryer GrillAs per the website, the PowerXL Air Fryer Grill claims to be an Air Fryer and Grill. It boats that it is an “8 in 1” kitchen appliance that promises to replace you air fryer, toaster, grill and deep fryer so you can chargrill and air fry all at the same time.
Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill [FG551]According to the website, the Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill claims to be a 6- in-1indoor grill that is built to sear, sizzle and air fry crisps. It is designed with an innovative Smart Cook System and XL capacity, with just a touch of a button it promises to help you attain the desired doneness from rare to well done when you cook large family meals.
Ninja Foodi Grill [AG301]The AG301 Grill claims to be a 5-in-1 perfect indoor grill and air fryer grill that sears, sizzles, and air fry crisps. It proclaims that it is designed with cyclonic grilling technology so the 500F air circulates around the food for flawless surround searing while the 500F high density grill grate creates char grilled marks and flavors, delivering food that’s perfectly cooked on the inside and char grilled on each and every side. It further claims that with its BTU cooking power of an outdoor grill, it brings outdoor grill flavors conveniently to your countertop any time you want.
What are the different features?
PowerXL Air Fryer Grill
- Turbo blades
- Powerful fan
Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill [FG551]
- Smart Cook System that sears, sizzles, and crisps
- Indoor countertop Grill and Air Fryer
- Cyclonic Grilling Technology and the Smart Cook System to perfectly cook food on the inside to your desired doneness and char-grill every side with 500F
- Smart Cook System—4 smart protein settings, 9 customizable doneness levels, and the Foodi Smart Thermometer helps you achieve the perfect doneness from rare to well done at the touch of a button.
- XL Capacity
- 6-in-1 indoor grill—Grill , Air Crisp, Bake, Roast, Broil, and Dehydrate
- Unique Smoke Control System—the combination of grilling practices, a temperature-controlled grill grate, splatter shield, and cool-air zone reduces smoke keeps the smoke out of the kitchen
- Dual Sensor Foodi Smart Thermometer—incessantly monitors temperature in two places for even more accurate results.
Ninja Foodi Grill [AG301]
- Indoor grill and air fryer that that sears, sizzles, and air fry crisps
- Cyclonic grilling technology
- BTU cooking power of an outdoor grill
Where do they differ?
- PowerXL Air Fryer Grill – It is an 8-in-1 appliance that is priced at $150.
- Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill [FG551] – It is a 6in 1 appliance that features a Dual Sensor Foodi Smart Thermometer that continuously monitors temperature so you can multi-task as food cooks to perfection. It is priced at $279.99.
- Ninja Foodi Grill [AG301] – It is a 5in1appliance and is priced at $199.99.
Compare Cooking Methods
- PowerXL Air Fryer Grill – Grill, air fry, bake, broil, sear, toast, reheat, grill and air fry
- Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill [FG551] – Grill, Air Crisp, Bake, Roast, Broil, and Dehydrate
- Ninja Foodi Grill [AG301] – Air Crisp, Roast, Bake, and Dehydrate and Grill.
Compare Heating Elements
- PowerXL Air Fryer Grill – 3 Heating Elements
- Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill [FG551] – 1 Element
- Ninja Foodi Grill [AG301] – 500°F top heating element and fan for surround searing on all sides.
Compare Temperature Range
- PowerXL Air Fryer Grill – up to 450 Degree Fahrenheit
- Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill [FG551] – 500 degree Fahrenheit
- Ninja Foodi Grill [AG301] – 500 degree Fahrenheit
Compare AccessoriesPowerXL Air Fryer Grill – Nonstick grill pan, stainless steel mesh fry basket, baking pan, stainless steel roasting rack, rotisserie spit, drip tray and recipe book.
Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill [FG551] – Foodi Smart Thermometer, Foodi Smart Thermometer storage, Foodi Smart XL Grill 6-in-1 base, Foodi XL Grill Combo Crisper Basket
Ninja Foodi Grill [AG301] – 10″ x 10″ grill grate, hinged grill hood, Splatter shield, 6-qt cooking pot, 5-in-1 base.
Verdict: The PowerXL Air Fryer Grill gets an edge over the Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill and the Ninja Foodi Grill because it comes with a lot more accessories allowing you to use the appliance for a whole range of cooking methods.
- PowerXL Air Fryer Grill – 22.7 pounds
- Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill [FG551] – 22.44 lbs
- Ninja Foodi Grill [AG301] – 14.50 lbs
- PowerXL Air Fryer Grill – 15.1″ x 19.3″ x 10.4″ inches
- Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill [FG551] – 15.7″ x 16.54″ x 11.05″
- Ninja Foodi Grill [AG301] – 17.00″ x 14.00″ x 11.00″
Compare CapacityPowerXL Air Fryer Grill – 6 quarts fits 6 huge burgers or a 10 lb. chicken
Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill [FG551] – XL 9″ x 12″ grill grate fits 6 steaks or 24 hot dogs, 4-qt crisper basket fits 2lbs of fries, 6-qt cooking pot fits a 3lb roast
Ninja Foodi Grill [AG301] – 10″ x 10″ grill grate, 4-qt crisper basket, 6-qt cooking pot.
Verdict: All three of the above appliances have a 6 quart capacity which makes them ideal for a large family but with the PowerXL Air Fryer Grill’s 8-in-1 versatility with intuitive cooking presets you can grill, air fry, rotisserie, bake / pizza, broil, sear, toast, reheat, or use the grill / air fry function to grill steaks and air fry French fries at the same time for an entire meal.
Compare Reviews, Pros and Cons: PowerXL Air Fryer Grill vs Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill [FG551] vs Ninja Foodi Grill [AG301]
PowerXL Air Fryer Grill ProsGreat for large families The PowerXL Air Fryer Grill cooks chicken that is crispy on the outside and juicy in the inside. You can air fry a Turkey 40% faster than your traditional oven. It is great to cook perfectly crusty pizzas in the PowerXL in minutes. The PowerXL Air Fryer Grill lets you toast for the entire family (6 toasts!)
PowerXL Air Fryer Grill ConsMessy – Grease splattering on the interior of the Air Fryer Grill is extremely hard to clean and is one of its main disadvantages. The grease gets lodged into all the cracks and crevices of the door handles and the pans get stained and are very difficult to clean.
Hard to Clean – Cleaning of the Power XL Air Fryer Grill is a huge chore. Users complain that they have had to use knives and other sharp objects to remove the grease that gets into all the cracks and crevices. The pan designed to collect the grease gets extremely hot causing all the grease to evaporate which creates smoke and makes it hard to clean.
Not Smoke-Free – The manufacturer claims that cooking with Power XL Air Fryer is “smoke-free” but people have complained that when cooking bacons, burgers, zucchini and more the house was filled with the smoke.
Noisy – The appliance is noisy, which could be because of the bigger fan that is used. It also makes a banging noise when you use the rotisserie.
Under Powered – The energy rating of the Power XL is 1500 watts while other similar appliances have a rating of 1700-1800 watts. More power means evenly cooked food in lesser time.
Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill [FG551] AdvantagesMakes amazing food – The Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill gives you the outside flavor inside the convenience of your home. It actually roasts yams like it was on an outside grill with no oil needed. Cleanup is Easy – Simply put the plates in the dishwasher or just use some soap and water and the grease and oil come right off.
Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill [FG551] DisadvantagesNot large enough – It claims to be an XL grill but it does not solve a problem with the Ninja grills in general, capacity. The XL has the same volume as the original Foodi grill. It is just laid out differently. You can lay out more steaks or burgers, but to cook a whole chicken you have to spatchcock it. You cannot bake a round cake because it is not deep enough.
Ninja Foodi Grill [AG301] ProsFast cooking – It cooks food fast. T-bones and roasted veggies turn out great.
Ninja Foodi Grill [AG301] ConsGreat for 1-2 items – Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill perfectly cooks 1-2 items but if you have 2 or 3 items, you have to figure out what order to cook them because of cooking times. Then whatever you cook first has to sit and wait on other things. Also, the cooking area is much smaller than you what you see on TV.
Not smoke Free – The manufacturer claims that it reduces smoke and keeps it out of your kitchen but buyers have complained that it smoked and set off the smoke detectors every time they used it.
Although the Power XL Air Fryer Grill is designed to be an 8-in-1appliance its main drawback is that you cannot use cannot use all functions at once. It performs as promised but because of the larger cooking area it takes more time to air fry than traditional air fryers. The food is crispy and you can cook for three to four people at once. The fan makes a lot of noise and vibrations when air frying.
The grilling function of the Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill is simply amazing. It heats up fast, allows for grilling indoors, you can quickly grill small portions, or up to six steaks, and then clean-up is pretty quick. Although it is a big appliance, it will fit on any countertop.
As per the reviews the Ninja Foodi Grill has an excellent grilling and air frying performance and reviewers love the fact that it's smokeless. There are complaints that it is a big appliance and is heavy, so they needed to find a dedicated spot for it.
Although it is more expensive, we would recommend the Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill because users are extremely happy with its grilling performance. It is sturdy and high quality and the wired thermometer allows for precision cooking without continuous monitoring.