Compare Features: Chemex Ottomatic vs Technivorm vs Wilfa
Chemex Ottomatic has been the choice of pour-over coffee purists for decades with its glass carafe brewer. It greatly simplifies pour-over brewing, doing all the precise pouring for you and keeping your coffee warm on a hotplate.
• The automated coffee brewer facilitates ideal water-to-coffee contact time
• Rainhead offers consistent wetting of the coffee-bed for even extraction
• Pulsing water bath ensures correct temperature is maintained during brewing
• Includes a 6-cup Chemex carafe, Chemex bonded filters and glass coffeemaker cover
Technivorm Moccamaster is handmade and individually tested in Netherlands and certified by the ECBC, SCAA and SCAE. As a matter of fact Technivorm Moccamaster is the only manufacturer with ECBC approval for all its household machines.
• It is simple to operate, and fully recyclable at the end of its long life
• It contains a manual drip-stop brew-basket with stainless steel thermal carafe
• Precise coffee-water saturation time (4-6 minutes)
• Copper heating element shuts off automatically after brew cycle is complete
• Brewing housing is of high quality durable material
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker reflects the simple yet state-of-the-art brew technology of Norway’s avid coffee culture
• Precision pump delivers just the right amount of water at the right time
• Double-wall filter holder maintains temperature of coffee during brewing
• Adjustable flow control lets you brew coffee as per requirement
• Detachable water tank with measurement markings for correct coffee/water ratio
Compare Usage: Chemex Ottomatic vs Technivorm vs Wilfa
Descale regularly using descale solution after every 40 brew cycles or a minimum of every 3 months.
Descale the brewer every 100 cycles (easily remembered after every box of 100-count filters) or a minimum of every 3 months. After descaling, run two brew cycles with water.
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker
Descaling should be performed as needed preferably with a commercially available descaling agent.
Compare filter: Chemex Ottomatic vs Technivorm vs Wilfa
Chemex Ottomatic uses Chemex bonded filters.
Technivorm Moccamaster has a manually adjustable brew-basket that acts as a filter.
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker uses double-wall filter holder to maintain temperature of coffee during brewing.
Compare Temperature Range: Chemex Ottomatic vs Technivorm vs Wilfa
Chemex Ottomatic – Heats water to the Specialty Coffee Industry target temperature range of 197.6˚F to 204.8˚F.
Technivorm Moccamaster – Brews at consistent 196˚F to 205˚F with a pulse action that allows for the perfect coffee bloom during extraction process.
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker – Precise heating system delivers water at optimal brew temperature through entire cycle of 197˚F to 205˚F. The Hot plate keeps glass carafe of brewed coffee at an optimal 185ºF.
Compare Cup Capacity: Chemex Ottomatic vs Technivorm vs Wilfa
Chemex Ottomatic – It has a capacity of brewing up to 6 cups.
Technivorm Moccamaster – At one point of time, the machine can brew up to 5 cups.
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker – No information
Compare time required to make coffee: Chemex Ottomatic vs Technivorm vs Wilfa
Chemex Ottomatic – No information
Technivorm Moccamaster – The machine takes about 4 to 6 minutes to brew coffee.
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker
Compare Controls: Chemex Ottomatic vs Technivorm vs Wilfa
Fully automatic pour-over coffee brewer facilitates ideal water-to-coffee contact time and the pulsing water bath ensures correct temperature is maintained during brewing.
The pulse action allows for the perfect coffee bloom during extraction process and the copper heating element automatically shuts off after the brew cycle is complete.
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker
Adjustable flow control brews fantastic-tasting coffee whether you’re making one or ten cups. Plus, the pump automatically removes leftover water from system after each brew thereby making the cleaning relatively easier.
Compare Wattage: Chemex Ottomatic vs Technivorm vs Wilfa
Chemex Ottomatic – 1000 Watts.
Technivorm Moccamaster – No information.
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker – No information.
Compare Water Tank Capacity: Chemex Ottomatic vs Technivorm vs Wilfa
Chemex Ottomatic – The water tank has a pretty good capacity of 50-oz.
Technivorm Moccamaster – The water reservoir is marked with the number of European cups: 4 oz. each.
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker – The Precision Coffee Maker is designed for household use only and hence has a decent capacity of 42-oz.
Compare Price: Chemex Ottomatic vs Technivorm vs Wilfa
Chemex Ottomatic – $349.95
Technivorm Moccamaster – $329.00
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker – It says no longer available and hence no price mentioned
Compare Pros and Cons: Chemex Ottomatic vs Technivorm vs Wilfa
Chemex Ottomatic Pros
Serves great tasting coffee
• Heats water at optimal brew temperature through entire cycle
• The markings corresponding to various brewer sizes are very helpful
• Automatically removes wastage from the system after every brew
• The filter holder, glass carafe and lid can be washed in hot soapy water
• Dishwasher safe
• Comes with detachable water tank with measurement markings for correct coffee/water ratio.
Chemex Ottomatic Cons
• The instructions guide is missing in the package
• There is no automatic shut-off for the machine which heats the water to 195’-204F
• Descaling is problematic
• The temperature of the finished brew is not maintained as the carafe has to be removed which results in loss of time
Technivorm Moccamaster Pros
• Makes good coffee
• The copper heating element automatically shuts off after the completion of a brew cycle
• Brews a full carafe instantly in about 4 to 6 minutes
• Comes with a 5 year warranty
• Certified by the specialty coffee associations of America and Europe (SCAA/SCAE)
• Granted the European coffee brewing center’s (ECBC) seal of approval meeting their strict “golden cup” quality guidelines.
Technivorm Moccamaster Cons
• Serves great coffee but doesn’t stay warm beyond 30 to 45 minutes even when kept on the carafe
• The machine has way too many parts and each has to be washed before producing a fresh brew
• Screw in device often comes out during the brewing process
• It can only brew 5 cups at a time
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker Pros
· The detachable water tank of the brewer ensures that the serving carafe will not be dirty with old coffee leftovers
· Measurement markings of coffee to water brew ratios help in making great coffee
. Easily removable filter holder and serving carafe can be used for dispensing hot water for other brewers
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker Cons
· Too expensive for such a short life
. The heating element becomes very corroded immediately, from small drips of coffee
Compare Reviews: Chemex Ottomatic vs Technivorm vs Wilfa
Chemex Ottomatic REVIEW
Jaybar in his Chemex Ottomatic review seems satisfied with the coffee machine but does have certain concerns. Though the packaging was well-designed with the enclosed brewer well protected, it didn’t have instructions. He received the manual when he contacted the manufacturers. Being visually impaired, he found the markings corresponding to various brewer sizes very helpful. However the six cup mark was 10% less. The manual was slightly confusing as the markings shown to represent brewed coffee actually equated to added water. Jaybar praises the Chemex Ottomatic for dispensing coffee in slow programmed pulses. Though the machine was a joy to use and produced great coffee, one of the drawbacks he found was that there was no automatic shut-off for the machine which heats the water to 195’-204F. He cautions everyone when centring the brewer so as to avoid water spills. In his opinion, those attracted to upscale simple brewers will be confused with the instructions. Descaling is another big problem. The instructions tell you to fill the tank with descale solution up to 8th cup mark which is opposite of what you actually need to do. Another major concern he faced was the temperature of the finished brew. The instructions advise you not to remove the carafe until brewing is completed. This in turn adds up to the time taken and hence results in a cooler than desired brew instead. Plus the hotplate doesn’t compensate for the heat loss. This means preheating the vessel with boiling water which is as good as brewing manually.
Technivorm Moccamaster REVIEW
Thomas B. in his Technivorm Moccamaster Review says that the machine makes good coffee but it does not keep it warm when left on the carafe beyond 30 -45 minutes. At 2 hours, it goes completely cold.
Brett in her Technivorm Moccamaster Review states that the coffee maker delivers hot coffee instantly which her husband loves but she doesn’t. Her complaint is that the machine has way too many parts and they all have to be cleaned for every fresh pot. The screw in device often comes out when the coffee is made. The plastic pad on which the coffee pot sits is loose and has to be realigned every time or else the machine won’t work. Apart from the issue of multiple parts, the coffee pot does serve good coffee.
Lauren P. in her Technivorm Moccamaster Review praises the coffee as well as the coffee machine. However it can only make 5 cups or 40 oz of coffee unlike other coffee machines which has the capacity of serving 10 cups at a time. Hence she has to make more coffee after the first pot is done with. However the machine does make great tasting coffee with relatively lesser quantity of coffee powder. The temperature is well-maintained and it keeps coffee hot for hours but needs another lid to accomplish this. There’s a separate brewing lid and another lid to be used after it has stopped brewing. If it is worth its value is best left to one’s personal choice.
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker REVIEW
Tim Wendelboe in his Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker review says that he is extremely delighted with the purchase. The detachable water tank of the brewer ensures that the serving carafe will not be dirty with old coffee leftovers. The measurement markings on the water tank with recommended coffee to water brew ratios help in making great coffee. Plus the pump within releases leftover water from previous brews ensuring a fresh brew every time. Tim further adds that the Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker with its precise temperature control brings the brewing water to the right temperature almost instantly thus making it the most temperature stable filter brewer for the domestic market. The filter holder comes with a plastic lid which Tim personally removes every time as he finds a slightly lower slurry temperature to yield a better tasting coffee. The other major advantage of Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker is the easily removable filter holder and serving carafe so as to use the brewer for dispensing hot water for other brewers. A lot of baristas view a hotplate in the brewer as a big negative hence Tim strongly recommends brewing less coffee at a time so that it is always fresh, or pouring the coffee over to a clean pre-heated thermos. Apparently the mixing tube in the lid of the serving carafe mixes the coffee better during brewing. The flow control of the filter holder avoids any unnecessary spills. Overall Tim is very happy with it and hopes that more people start drinking good black coffee again.